Binary \bi"na*ry\, n.
- That which is constituted of two figures, things, or parts;
two; duality. --Fotherby
- A system of two stars that revolve around each other under
their mutual gravitation [syn: binary star, double star]
- Any file format for digital data encoded as a sequence of bits
but not consisting of a sequence of printable characters (text).
The term is often used for executable machine code
Binary \bi"na*ry\, adj. [L. binarius, fr.
bini two by two, two at a time, fr. root of bis
twice; akin to E. two: cf. F binaire.]
- Compounded or consisting of two things or parts; characterized
by two (things)
- Of or pertaining to a number system have 2 as its base; "a